Publication design is diverse. It includes creating layouts for magazines, newspapers, books, eBooks, newsletters, and more. Good publication design can make your content attractive and easy to read.
But let's stop here. This would only make sense if you're familiar with publication design. Fortunately, this comprehensive guide will help you learn the types, advantages, and application design. We will also share some examples of websites that offer this service.
What is Publication Design?
Publication design is creating and designing layouts for books, magazines, newsletters, and online versions. It encompasses images, typography, colors, and sizes to create eye-catching publications.
Here are the two main types of publication design:
Print is the original form of publication design. It includes books, magazines, newspapers, and mailing materials that need good design to convey critical information and promote products or services.
Print publication requires color, typography, balanced white space, images, and arrangement. For print, publication designers must consider the quality and texture of the paper when thinking about the purpose of the publication design. Below are specific examples of print publications:
- Books and book covers
Nowadays, most publications are either strictly in digital format or have online versions. Books, magazines, newspapers, and other publications also have an online version.
Factors like images, typography, color, and white space remain relevant in this publication design. However, publication designers have more elements that they need to consider. Digital publications include interactive features, animations, and creating versions compatible with computer browsers or mobile devices. Some specific examples of digital publication design are:
- Online magazines
- Online newsletters
- Digital reports
- Digital catalogs
- Digital brochures
Importance of Publication Design?
An influential publication blends quality writing, stellar design, fitting illustrations, careful typography, imaginative infographics, compelling images, and excellent printing. These elements are essential for crafting a standout publication that boosts digital engagement and strengthens the brand's presence.
Here are a few ways to launch a successful company from good publication design.
- Increase Viewer Interaction. A well-designed digital design attracts visitors, viewers, or readers to your online publication. Functional and intuitive design increases the chances that people will subscribe to your print or online magazine. Likewise, it increases the chances that viewers will return to your website and remain loyal.
- Better User Experience (UX). You always want your users to have a great experience; good publication design can do that. By creating an accessible and easy-to-navigate publication, you increase the quality of the browsing experience of visitors or customers.
- Strengthen Your Brand and Message. A successful brand means a cohesive brand. If your brand image and message are all over the place and undefined, customers can't understand who you really are. The right typography, imagery, and color let you convey your message to your audience clearly.
- Social Media Presence. Social media is primarily about what looks pretty. If your publication is visually appealing, there is a possibility of getting more shares, likes, follows, and other engagement. These factors then translate to a larger audience and more customers.
- Increase Subscription and Conversion Rates. Your success from the above purpose leads to achieving your publication's ultimate goal: to gain more subscribers and customers.
Who Needs to Hire a Publication Designer?
Suppose you are wondering who needs a publication designer. In that case, the most prominent examples are a newspaper publisher, the author of a book, eBook, online or print magazine, or a blog owner.
In addition, any company that delivers consistent information-related information could tap the expertise of a publication designer. This includes brochures, newsletters, regular reports, pamphlets, product or service catalogs, or manuals.
What are the Qualifications of a Graphic Designer for a Publication?
How do you find a qualified graphic designer to help you create a fantastic design for your publication? Of course, you must begin with setting up your budget. Ask yourself this question: how much money can you allocate for a graphic designer for your publication? Remember that you will get what you pay for.
It would be best to find a large agency or a freelancer to find a qualified graphic designer with relevant experience to handle your publication design needs.
Since print and digital publication design demand distinct skill sets, we will present the qualifications in two separate parts:
If you want to hire a publication designer for printed material, here are a few qualifications and skills your potential graphic designer should possess:
- Adobe InDesign and Photoshop experience
- Illustration skills specific to content (children's books, self-help, reference, and more)
- Print advertising experience
- Expertise in self-publishing (if writing a book)
- Typesetting and typography
- Knowledge in marketing assets production (brochures, business cards, etc.)
- Publishing strategists (if publishing an original work)
Many similar skills, like experience with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, are required for digital publications. Illustration and self-publishing experts are needed for online publications like eBooks, websites, or other online magazines.
Below are a list of more specific skills that digital publication designer expected:
- Logo and icon design
- Infographic design
- 3D design
- eBook design
Where to Hire a Publication Designer
You can find a publication designer from a freelance website like Fiverr, Upwork, Freelancer, or an agency like Toptal. Unlimited graphic design services like Penji, Kimp, or Graphically can also design publications.
Penji is a reliable option for graphic design, offering a hassle-free alternative to hiring freelancers. Unlimited graphic design services save the legwork for finding, hiring, and managing a skilled designer. More importantly, it helps you avoid potential overcharging.
More than 25,000 brands and agencies choose Penji because they are affordable and have no hidden fees. You can rest assured that design projects won't surpass the budget because it is a fixed monthly fee. Also, they have a strict selection process for designers and only hire the top 2% of total applicants.