Readers may want to avoid website designs full of content with stock photos and photoshopped images. To address this challenge, illustrations are a good alternative. Website illustrations can be bold, playful, or straightforward. But the bottomline is that it must bring out the best of your brand identity. We've collected the importance of finding the ideal website illustration design to assist you in creating your website.
The Importance of Illustration in Design
Custom illustrations are highly beneficial in various scenarios that include the following:
- Represent Something Abstract. Many ideas can indeed be conveyed through a copy. But it's better to pair them with a visual representation. That's why it is vital to incorporate an illustration into the design.
- Tell A Story. Bring your imagination to life by using different types of illustrations. The illustration need not look too cartoony all the time. There are many kinds of image that suits the specific elements of your story.
- Visualize Data. Instead of creating a standard bar graph or pie chart, try to use illustrations to show the data in a more visually-appealing manner. Use character icons and sketches to develop meaningful infographics.
- Branding. Designers usually utilize illustration techniques in designing logos. Likewise, designers use other branding components like custom icons and customer flow charts or graphs.
- Packaging. Obviously, you can use illustrations in your packaging design. An illustration might be the best choice to attract your target audience or client.
- Events. Illustration style can add an exciting perspective in promoting an event.
- Promotional Materials. Use illustrations to create signages, flyers, billboards, calling cards, and even t-shirts to promote your brand.
- Create a Balance. Illustrations are crucial in creating a sense of balance, especially for text-heavy design projects. For example, magazines and brochures are filled with text. Incorporating the correct visual elements break the monotony and balances out the text.
- Add Personality to Words. Illustrations can help identify the personality of the design. They can convey emotions present in the text and the brand as a whole.
- Add Entertainment Value. Illustrations can stimulate the mind. For instance, an image can make the reading much more entertaining if a piece is loaded with information.
- Speak to the Right Audience. And last but not least, the illustration might be the best choice in developing a design that attracts the audience. So it is always essential to understand your audience and reach out to them appropriately.
Finding the Illustration Design Style for your Website
Like many different painting styles, several art styles work best for websites. Website illustrations can be straightforward, bold, and courageous. It all boils down to what brings out your brand spirit best. It is best to understand the meaning of branding and how to build your brand identity. Once you are confident about your brand, finding your ideal illustration design style will be easier.
Cartoon-like illustrations are the best option if your brand has a fun, easygoing outlook. Sharp illustrations give your brand a cool and modern look. Whatever your branding persona is, illustrations help your website stand out from the crowd.
1. Flat and Semi-Flat Illustrations
Some of the most fantastic website illustrations are the simplest ones, and they are usually rendered in a flat design style. This style is suitable for depicting human life, animals, objects, and characters. In addition, flat artwork offers a classic way to integrate illustrations into web design because it all happens on one visual level.
Flat design is defined as a two-dimensional image without shading or gradients. The edges and corners are usually the same shade as the rest of the image to emphasize the two-dimensional effect. On the other hand, the semi-flat design uses more elements of gradients, highlights, and shading without taking the illustration to a complete three-dimensional style.
Flat illustrations can either be playful or sophisticated. This style comes out great with a cohesive color palette throughout the page design. More importantly, flat images can easily create animated, cartoon-like, recognizable icons. They also produce meaningful website mascots or icons, like the bird in the Duolingo app below.
Another benefit of using a flat website illustration is its adaptability. By curating the appropriate color palette and focusing on the proportions in the landing page design, the integration of illustration and illustration feels balanced.
2. Textures and Gradients
The usual landing page is flat and static unless a brand goes all-out with flash animation. With website illustrations, a once-flat setting gains a sense of depth. Textures and gradients enhance the looks of websites and eventually help elevate their brands' aesthetics to new levels.
3. Outline Website Illustration Design
Outline illustrations have become trendy in recent years. The popularity of adult coloring books could be the underlying cause of this trend, and honestly and it's excellent! The outlines look classic and charming. When looking at these website illustration styles, they're some of the most compelling.
The adequate use of white space is a common element of the outline illustration style. Depending on the approach, outline illustrations can be scaled down, minimalist, or highly detailed. Besides, outlines are easy on the eyes yet highly engaging.
Illustrations are one of the essential components in communicating ideas. They have many advantages in any design project. And just like fonts and colors, illustration allows you to institutionalize your overall brand identity. Utilizing a single illustration design style through your branding materials is efficient. It's an excellent way of showing your audience who you really are when they visit your website, look at your store signage, open your brochure, and more.